Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Wednesday Butterfly Survey #1

Each week I spend time outside in our front yard and make notes about the butterflies I see and the plants that are blooming.  There weren't many butterflies out this week, which is surprising as it has been warm and clear.


I only noticed one butterfly, a snout butterfly, or Libytheana carinenta this week.


 The spiderworts (Tradescantia ohiensis) are blooming prolifically.  The flowers are edible, and my grandchildren enjoy picking them to eat.



 Native Azaleas (Rhododendron austrinum) are just now starting to open.  They have incredibly fragrant flowers.  I noticed some small thrips on the older blossoms.


The Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens), which is so attractive to humming birds, has been brightening up the yard for awhile now.  Other flowers that were blooming were Lyre-leaf Sage (Salvia lyrata), Crab Apple, Pawpaws (Asimina triloba), and Fringe Tree (Chionathus virginicus).


No comments:

Post a Comment